I’ve just switched MyOwnPirateRadio from hosting on iPower.com to WordPress.com.
If you subscribe to the email version of this blog you probably noticed a few duplicate posts mailed out last night. My apologies, and fear not, for I haven’t yet stooped to duplicating my own blog posts. It was a glitch in the import process.
Why leave iPower?
- Poor availability. 5 hours of downtime in September, a whopping 49 hours in July. Not that this blog is mission-critical, but still, doesn’t 2 days seem a little excessive? Maybe they forgot to plug the server in.
- iPower recently started charging for domain privacy, with no warning. Deceptive.
- Their hosting prices have stayed the same while everyone else’s have dropped. $100+ a year is too much for a simple blog.
- Their web host management UI is geared at selling services, not helping customers get stuff done.
- Switching a domain to iPower is easy, switching away to another registrar is a devilish process. Again, bad business practice.
- Support: not so much.
So, after many years as a customer, I’m moving all my business away from iPower. This blog is going to WordPress.com, my domain registrations are going to namecheap, and 5 Blocks Out is now ticking along happily over on slicehost.
Why rehost on WordPress.com? There are other places I could have hosted, but for running a simple blog with minimal customization requirements it’s a great value. I can just "set and forget"… I don’t worry about security updates, spam, bandwidth, etc. The only downsides I’ve experienced are (1) advertising is present unless I pay to remove it, and (2) there seems to be no way to import images. If anyone knows an easy way to fix #2 (read: takes less than 20 minutes!) I’d love to know.